Monday, March 20, 2017

ELEPHANTS DO CRY

Although the science world may not be able to explain whether elephants tears are a result of emotion, their behavior to me suggests they do have emotions. We had travelled by van to a remote area in the Thailand jungle to ride the elephants. I was so excited. This was something on my bucket list and I always wanted to be up close with an elephant. I had a lot to learn that day, a lot I did not know until later. For one, Asian elephants have smaller ears than their African counterpart and they are actually an endangered species. The dark truth about the Asian elephants in Thailand tourist industry is shocking. Elephants are intelligent and friendly creatures. As tourists, we want to ride them and watch them do tricks. The horrible fact is that the elephants need to be tamed before this can be accomplished and the taming process is brutal and begins at a very young age. This crush of the elephant spirit is called Phajaan, pronounced ‘fajohn’ It involves taking baby elephants from their mothers and confining them to a small space where they cannot move. They are beaten into submission, starved and the use of bull hooks are employed to control the animal. Traditionally they were used for logging or military use, a part of Thai culture, now most are used to entertain the tourists. So, I was excited as I crawled atop this massive beast, completely ignorant of its abuse. We started through the jungle trail all the while the guide was riding on his head whipping him with a stick. Still I was oblivious. I was having fun, even taking a turn at riding atop his head which I must tell you is no easy feat with this giant creature lumbering back and forth. Earlier we had watched elephants hit a ball around an arena and even paint. What and experience. The real experience that day was yet to come. The trip was then over and we were able to feed our elephants bananas. It was then I noticed my elephant had tearing streaming down its face. Tears. I had no idea. I patted him gently, talking to him and still tears flowed. It was time to leave and I could not drag myself away from this creature I now had a bond with. Eventually I did have to leave, heartbroken that the elephant and I had made a connection but that I had to leave him behind. So whether science believes or doesn’t believe that elephants cry, I am convinced they do. My heart was forever touched by this massive giant who cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment